Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Unit 2 Reflection


This unit was about the chemistry of life.  We learned about subatomic particles (protons, neutrons, and electrons) , isotopes (all isotopes of an element have the same chemical properties), and the main types of chemical bonds (covalent bonds and ionic bonds). We also learned about the properties of water, and about its polarity because of its uneven distribution of electrons (between oxygen/hydrogen molecules), and what pH values stand for (higher than 7 = basic, lower than 7 = acidic).  We learned about the four groups of organic compounds found in living things (carbohydrates, lipids, nucleic acids, and proteins), and about chemical reactions and how enzymes speed them up.  
I understand about the four macromolecules and what they all do.  I don't exactly understand the different types of chemical bonds, but I get the concept of them.  I learned a lot about managing the demands of the class, including using my class time wisely to work on assignments such as conclusions, and making sure I have enough time to watch the vodcasts. I learned that I work well in group settings, and we completed labs quickly and efficiently, even with some side conversations.  I learned to work efficiently in class so that I didn't have as much homework, and to take the time each day to complete part of the chapter notes, so that it won't pile up. 
I want to learn more about nucleic acids anyhow they are arranged in DNA and RNA.  I don't have any unanswered questions, as the textbook and podcasts have been very thorough. I wonder about how the nucleic acids can determine so much when they are so tiny. 

No comments:

Post a Comment