Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Unit 5 Reflection

Unit 5 Reflection


In this unit we learned about the Dogma. First we learned about DNA, which is made up of nucleotides. Nucleotides have three parts- the nitrogen base, phosphate group, and sugar.  DNA is anti parallel, and codes for every trait that you have. To replicate, DNA "unzips" and DNA polymerase rematches it- thus creating two new identical strands, consisting of the bases A,T,C, and G. We also learned about protein synthesis, which consists of two parts- transcription and translation. During transcription, DNA "unzips" and RNA polymerase matches all the spare nucleotides to make an RNA strand- messenger RNA. The RNA code replaces the T with a U. After it is produced, it leaves the nucleus and goes to the ribosome.  Once there, the ribosome reads the messenger RNA in groups of three bases (called codons) and translates it into the language of proteins (amino acids). Third, we learned about mutations, and how they effect proteins. The two main types of mutations are frame shift mutations (insertion and deletion) and mutations involving substitution. Finally, we learned about Gene expression. We learned that every cell in your entire body had the exact same DNA, but not all are expressed. There are different parts which control gene experession, including the promoter, the operon, and the operator. 
I'm good at translating the DNA to RNA and the RNA to amino acids, but I have a little difficulty understanding gene expression and the different parts. I am a better student today because I can now translate DNA to RNA to Amino Acids very very easily and quickly. I also learned better studying techniques, including making tests for myself and hearing the questions out loud instead of reading them. I also made flashcards on certain topics for practice. This works a lot better for me because I am a hands on or listening learner.  
I would like to learn more about how DNA and RNA polymerase work and what other molecules are involved in the unzipping and re matching of DNA. I have no unanswered questions. I wonder about how scientists first discovered protein synthesis and DNA replication, as it happens on such a small scale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_polymerase
DNA polymerase and the unzipping of DNA

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amino_acid
Finished Amino Acid Chain




No comments:

Post a Comment